Dubai, then & now
Facts about Dubai, UAE
So it was Dubai, UAE again a few days back. It is fun when you visit a place more than once. It keeps you wondering about some familiarities that you observe & compare with your last visit’s.
Here are a few of them.
- Right from the immigration to all over the city, there were too few people last time. Either expats or Tourists, owing to the recession. Now there were a lot more.
- Only public transport earlier was the sparse but comfortable buses. Otherwise cabs were the only way to move around. Metro was being built. Now it is working on at least the more important routes. I was told the project is being delivered as planned.
- The only problem about Metro is that it does not start on Fridays before 2:00pm !
Baggage screened !
- The tallest tower, Burj Khalifa (earlier Burj-e-Dubai), is now completed.
- Free internet at Dubai International now. Don’t remember this from my last trip.
- On the other hand free internets from Malls have been discontinued. Don’t know why. And in hotels, they are way too expensive.
- You can see people from almost all countries of the world working here at various positions. Most people working in Malls and Restaurants are from either Indian Sub Continents or Filipinos. I may be wrong though.
- There were more tourists and people in general in the malls and on the roads. Also it was pleasing to see foreigners attired in more comfortable dresses, minis and the ubiquitous jeans.
- It is a misconception that Dubai hotels are expensive. Of course they do have the most expensive ones but there are areas where you may find inexpensive ones as well.
P.S.-This article belongs to Le Monde-A Poetic Travail. If you are viewing this on a website instead of your RSS feed reader, then that website is guilty of stealing my content. Kindly do me a favour. Please visit my site and help me taking action by letting me know against this theft.
If you like this blog, I suggest you to connect with me through Facebook fan page and Twitter.