Home » Krakow, Poland, Warsaw, Zakopane

Poland in winters

29 December 2013 33 Comments

Poland in winters!
The sheer thought of it makes you shiver in cold. Isn’t it?

The day I landed in Warsaw was quite warm according to the locals. The maximum temperature that day was 5 degrees Celsius whereas generally it is between -10 to -15 degrees!
No doubt it was breezy and cold when I stepped out of the airport, but I could manage. The joy of stepping in a new country is always overwhelming. In the afternoon the Sun had also come out to make me smile.
In reality, more than the weather it was the warmth and hospitality of its people which won over that cold.

Here is a photo feature of this beautiful country to show you a glimpse.
WARSAW:
krakow @lemonicks.com

What a colorful treat to our eyes! Town square at Warsaw.

I visited three towns in Poland… Warsaw, Krakow and Zakopane. Each of them is unique in its own way, you just can not afford to miss anyone. The first was Warsaw, the capital of Poland.

St. Florian's Cathedral @lemonicks.com

It was cold and windy with clouds hovering over us. Hands were refusing to come out of pockets, let alone holding a camera steadily. It was not even 5 PM in the evening and the temperature sub-zero. We were standing near the river Vistula. Then I saw the beautiful St. Florian’s Cathedral glowing on the other side of the river. I had to click it with my freezing hands.

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Warsaw @lemonicks.com

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier houses an unidentified body of a young soldier who fell during the Defence of Lwów. It is constantly lit by an eternal flame which you can see between the two guards. The changing of the guard takes place every hour daily. On certain state holidays (May 3, August 15, November 11), the 12:00 noon change of guard is done in solemn manner accompanied by some high rank officials. Is it not something similar to our own Amar Jawan Jyoti?

church Warsaw @lemonicks.com

Look at the intricate work in this Church!

ZAKOPANE:
Snow in zakopane @lemonicks.com

Vast expanse of pristine white…. such serene beauty!

Snow zakopane @lemonicks.com
Zakopane means ‘covered’ & here’s what it means in winters… covered in snow! Even in sub-zero temperature the town was quite lively; people and children had come out and were enjoying the outdoors. There were a few surprises for me which I’ll talk about later in a separate article.

Snow zakopane @lemonicks.com

The highlight and most enthralling experience in Zakopane was 2 & 1/2 hours of Snow mobile…. driving down the slopes of the mountains in that freezing temperature and exploring the real Zakopane! Wait for my post on this ride.

KRAKOW:
Wawel Castle krakow @lemonicks.com

Wawel Castle along the river Vistula in Krakow. Clicked from moving bus.

While Warsaw was about skyscrapers, expensive hotels and big department stores, I found Krakow more historical. Krakow is also more interactive and warm. It is about lively Christmas markets, mulled wines & cheese, cafeterias and street musicians and of course the Castle and Salt museum.

Salt mine krakow @lemonicks.com

Can you tell me what these sculptures are made of?

market krakow @lemonicks.com

Drinks anyone?

market krakow @lemonicks.com

A street artist attired in a Polish Hussar’s costume.

So, which photo is your favorite?

If you want to travel places with me, I suggest you to join me on my Facebook travel page and Twitter.
P.S.- This article belongs to www.lemonicks.com. Reproduction without explicit permission is prohibited. If you are viewing this on a website instead of your RSS feed reader, then that website is guilty of stealing my content. Kindly do me a favour. Please visit my site and help me taking action by letting me know against this theft. Thank you.

Posts related to this entry which might interest you :-

• Niranjan said:

Wow! Poland looks so inviting. Excellent captures, Nisha!
    Niranjan´s last [post] ..Kanchanaburi- Reminiscences of World War II…!!

• Arti said:

Damn, that’s too cold for me nevertheless looks like true paradise. Wonderful teaser post with gorgeous pictures, Nisha – looking forward to more. :)
    Arti´s last [post] ..My Yatra Diary…: Calendar Recap 2013!

• Tushar said:

Nisha ji,

There are the pictures specially the zig zag cloud close to Moon. Wonderful Wonderful pictures. I am very very happy to watch these.
    Thanks Thanks a lot. Keep traveling, Keep writing..

• Barry E Warren said:

Must have been a great time in Poland, aside of the cold weather. You got some Great photos and a nice Read.Thanks for sharing…..

• Shreya said:

Wow!
    I never thought Poland will be so inviting & colorful!

What great captures & very nice read. Poland was never in my list of places in Europe but your pictures have changed my views. Thanks.

Looking forward to read your stories.

• Carver said:

Wonderful shots of a beautiful place!

• Yogi said:

Thanks for taking us along on your journey.
    Yogi´s last [post] ..Our World – Geocaching on Turkey Mountain

• ladyfi said:

What lovely architecture!

• arvi said:

Beautiful!

I like the first one. It looks like right out of the fairy tale!
    Christmas tree and vivid colors et al.

• arvi said:

Oh! by the way a very happy New Year. May you travel to more places and make us more informed of our blue ball!

• A.H. said:

-15 degrees! I’m shivering in Bangalore’s +12; I’d probably be a block of ice in Poland :P

Wish you a happy new year! Hope you have many more amazing travels!
    A.H.´s last [post] ..Hi 2014!

• Jules said:

Very cool pics! The snow in photo #3 looks really neat, all the squiggles in it. I’ve never seen that, and believe me, I’ve seen a lot of snow! :)

Happy New Year, Nisha! Blessed be your travels!
    Jules´s last [post] ..Rolling in the dough now…

• Prashanth M said:

loved the snow photos. and that journey on snow mobile looks exciting.
    Prashanth M´s last [post] ..Year 2013 in pictures

• Rajesh said:

Wonderful shots from Poland. I liked the variety.
    Rajesh´s last [post] ..Bhitarkanika National Park

• Bindhu Unny said:

Amazing! :)

• łucja-Maria said:

Hello Nisha!
    I am very happy that you visited my country and my blog.
    This year, the winter is unusual. There is a lack of snow and frost, snowstorms and blizzard …
    I send greetings from distant Polish.
    Lucia

• Siddhartha Joshi said:

Fantastic shots…but I am jealous as well :)

Niranjan,
    Thank you. Poland is indeed very beautiful.

Arti,
    Oh I am sure you’ll be able to manage that cold. The warmth of people & their hospitality will keep you warm.

Tushar,
    I am glad that you liked the pictures. Poland is much more beautiful than these photos. :)

Barry,
    Thank you very much for your kind words. Poland is indeed very beautiful.

Shreya,
    That’s the mistake I was also doing. Never underestimate Poland. It is as beautiful as any other European country.

Carver,
    Thanks.

Yogi,
    You are welcome.

Ladyfi,
    Thanks.

Arvi,
    Thank you very much for your kind words. The whole of Poland is a dreamland. :D

A.H.,
    Ha Ha But I am sure you’ll be able to manage that cold. The beauty of the place is so irresitable.

Jules,
    Thank you very much, I wish you the same.

Being in Canada, I can understand when you say a lot of snow. It was mountains and mountains covered in snow! Very pleasant scene. :D

Prashanth,
    Thanks.

The snow mobile ride was full of Adrenalin rush. Very satisfying feel.

Rajesh,
    Thank you very much.

Bindhu,
    Hey Thanks! :D

Lucja,
    Your country is amazingly beautiful, never expected that.

Yes, I heard this year it’s quite warm. A friend told me today that Warsaw is at 8 degree Celsius and no snow. :D

Siddhartha,
    Why jealous? Pack your bags and make me jealous!