Home » Australia

Boomerang

24 February 2014 10 Comments

Souvenirs for me is not just buying a few key rings, fridge magnets or postcards. They are fond memories of a place I visited, fond memories of the moments I lived & cherished. Sometimes they are part of our life, not just the memories.

boomarang @lemonicks.com

I stayed in Australia for nearly a year. During that period I visited many places in the country. I learnt about local culture, food and history.

I watched Aboriginals, the tribal community of Australia, playing Didgeridoo and dancing. I watched them speaking in their language and followed their expressions & movements to understand. Have you ever seen an Aboriginal dance? The meaning of “Kang-a-roo”, Australia’s national animal and why it was national animal meant a lot of sense.

boomarang @lemonicks.com

That time I had also become a fan of Cathy Freeman, their star Aboriginal athlete & Olympian. Do you remember these Olympic coins I had shared with you earlier?

I watched Aboriginals making Didgeridoo and Boomerang. I learnt how to use a Boomerang. What’s the correct way of holding it and how does it comes back to us!

Today these memories are boomeranging at me. Before I become more nostalgic, here are a few pictures of handmade, hand painted Boomerangs that adorn our walls.

boomarang @lemonicks.com

boomarang @lemonicks.com

Question:- What is a souvenir to you?

P.S.- This is a monthly series exhibiting various souvenirs that I have picked up from my journeys across the globe. You can see more of them here.

If you want to travel places with me, I suggest you to join me on my Facebook travel page and Twitter.
P.S.- This article belongs to www.lemonicks.com. Reproduction without explicit permission is prohibited. If you are viewing this on a website instead of your RSS feed reader, then that website is guilty of stealing my content. Kindly do me a favour. Please visit my site and help me taking action by letting me know against this theft. Thank you.

• Shreya said:

Such a lovely way to remember the souvenirs. I like this series very much & wait to see your collection every month. :)

• Prasad Np said:

Soveniers are the best way to bring back a small piece of the place you visited… I have my own little treasure… :)
    Prasad Np´s last [post] ..The Sounds of Great Britain

• Nisha said:

Shreya,
    Thanks. Even I wait for this series eagerly. :P
    Nisha´s last [post] ..Boomerang

• Nisha said:

Prasad,
    Hey! I would like to see yours ! :D
    Nisha´s last [post] ..Boomerang

• Arti said:

I can understand what you say, Nisha because they mean the same to me as they do to you. These boomerangs are beautiful, I was actually wondering if they return and now I know, they do. Thank you! :)
    Arti´s last [post] ..‘My Most Memorable Memento’ Contest!

• Niranjan said:

Souvenirs always bring back a lot of wonderful memories. I too try to get something from every place i visit.
    Niranjan´s last [post] ..Srirangapatna- Tipu Sultan’s Isle…!!

• Akanksha Jain said:

Wonderful way of bringing back the memories cherished. Even I have the habit of collecting souvenirs and displaying on my showcase.
    Akanksha Jain´s last [post] ..The Evolution Of Freelance Writer Into Agency

Arti,
    Yes, they do return. Good weapon na? :P
    Nisha´s last [post] ..Celebrating Women’s Day

Niranjan,
    What do you collect normally?
    Nisha´s last [post] ..Celebrating Women’s Day

Akanksha,
    Thank you very much.

What souvenirs do you collect?
    Nisha´s last [post] ..Celebrating Women’s Day