I am off to Uttarakhand to do some hiking in Himalayas. Can you imagine it is my first visit to that state? Dehradoon, Mussourie, Haridwar, Rishikesh, Nainital…. the state has so many beautiful & alluring places but I have never been to any of them.
Tomorrow early morning we will start our journey. The duration will be around 3 weeks.
There is no fixed return date as we do not have fixed itinerary. This year Uttarakhand is experiencing heavy rains, landslides, cloudbursts etc. Keeping that in mind we have kept some buffer days for bad weather. Let us see what it has to offer when we are there.
V has taken a break from his extremely busy job and is accompanying me on this trip.
So, it is two of us. Backpacking.
We have booked only the train tickets to reach till Haridwar. Rest all is unplanned, unbooked. We will find our way. 😀
Challenges we face:–
– We are backpacking so no suitcases or strolley. Whatever we can carry on our backs is going with us.
– There is electricity problem beyond Rishikesh. I heard some places have electricity for max 4 hours a day. It’s a challenge then to be at the hotel (or our place of stay) when electricity Goddess wants to bless us to be able to charge our 3 mobile phones, 1 laptop, 3 cameras & rechargeable torch batteries etc.
– No electricity means no laundry or washing machine in the vicinity. We need to carry more clothes.
– No electricity also means very little internet connection or interaction with online world.
– For most of the time, there won’t be any coverage for our cellphones.
– Bad weather, heavy rains with landslides. Let’s see how it welcomes us.
Things we are carrying:–
– Besides other typical things like clothes, footwear, toiletries, medicines etc, we are also carrying some food or energy bars, dry fruits, ready to drink tea/coffee sachets. There will be days when we’ll hike for 14 Kms uphill at a stretch without any proper stop; not even a roadside kiosk for food. These food items will keep us going.
Energy bars (Sugarless & with sugar), Nescafe sachets, dry fruits and so on.
– In gadgets we have decided to carry only one laptop. No other compromise. 🙂
– Rain coats, quick dry clothes, quilted jackets, woolen caps, etc. are part of our baggage.
– Every time we go to remote places, we feel the local people, especially children are deprived of many basic things. And we always try to do our bit. This time is no different. 🙂
Dozens of sketch pens, notebooks & other such things to distribute among local kids.
So, that’s all from me. I have scheduled a few posts and whenever we are in a reasonably bigger town, we’ll try to connect.
See ya soon.
P.S.-This article belongs to Le Monde-A Poetic Travail. If you are viewing this on a website instead of your RSS feed reader, then that website is guilty of stealing my content. Kindly do me a favour. Please visit my site and help me taking action by letting me know against this theft. Thank you.
If you like this site, I suggest you to connect with me through Facebook fan page and Twitter.