We reached Manila and the first impression of the city was something like this….
Low cost airport at Clarke Field, 2 hours drive from the city.
1. The city has heavy American influence.
2. Locals can understand & speak English better than people of Thailand and Malaysia.
3. The houses are big but closer to each other than in the USA. These days most of the houses are all decked up, many of them like malls, for Christmas.
4. The cars are big as well… of which around 70-75% are SUVs. The garage of our hosts has three… one each of Honda, BMW and Toyota. (…and a space for fourth…)
5. The airport is small, probably because this is not the regular international airport. Will see the regular one on return journey.
6. Jeepney, evolved from World war II jeeps are used as shared taxis. More Jeepney are seen on the road than cars. Saw an air-conditioned one at the airport.
7. Most common dress among women is shorts and a T-shirt. Housewives, college students, young kids… they all wear them.
8. Weather is like Mumbai.
9. Crowded, poverty and dirty…. you’ll not miss India.
If you like this blog, I suggest you recommend it to your friends. If you wish to stay tuned to the latest happenings on this site,
1. You can subscribe to this website by e-mail or on your reader.
2. For those small stories and tit-bits that don’t always make it to this place check out my Twitter or
3. Facebook fan page accounts.
4. For my travel related videos subscribe to Youtube.