Nighoj potholes (कुंड)
Located around 20 kms from Chincholi is a village called Nighoj.
No, we are not talking about this sleepy village in rural Maharashtra which comes alive only during Janamashtami festival when lakhs of devotees throng to witness a miracle, that of an earthen pot of water coming out of a well in the village. There is an interesting story attached to it which shall be told at a later date. 🙂
Instead, we are here to see another wonder of nature…. the potholes of Nighoj !
Have you seen such river banks?
This place needs to be seen to believe, a must see if you are in the vicinity. These beautifully shaped natural potholes in the riverbed are some of the largest in Asia according to geologists, but very few of us have even heard of them.
A newly built suspension bridge on the river
The river Kukadi flows near the village. It is said that at one point, sudden geological disturbances occurred and a huge canyon was formed. The river flowed through this canyon with a great force forming huge holes in the rocks.
These potholes are spread over three kilometers with an average depth of over 100 feet.
You can see the dam at a distance
This is a geographical phenomenon where the pebbles that are carried by the river get locked in the cracks developed in the basalt rock riverbed. These pebbles swirl around due to the water current & form pot shaped cavities in the basalt rock. The process has taken over thousands of years. There are other theories also but we are not here to discuss them. 🙂
Do you see smooth round shapes? Rocks resemble some kind of sculptures.
Most of the rocks are black/ dark gray colored but if you see closely there are layers with a tinge of red too. The thin layers of green & white marble look like markings and are very prominent.
At places it resembles naturally formed rock sculptures. We spent around two hours admiring in awe & taking photographs which will be uploaded soon.
How to reach Nighoj: Nighoj is 90 kms from Pune and 245 kms from Mumbai.
Directions from Mumbai-
• Get onto Mumbai pune expressway
• Travel about 85km on the on the expressway, cross both tolls and take somathane exit which goes to the Talawade IT Park.
• Get on to NH4
• Take left after railway bridge of Dehu road station. You will see the station on the left. This is Talawade road.
• Travel for 5 km then turn right for IT park.
• Go straight 10 km after turning right. You will reach a T junction. This is Pune Nashik road. Turn Left here
• Travel till Khed ( 20km), just before Khed Bus Stand turn right it is a bit sharp, more like inverted ‘V’
• after 1km you will reach Y junction, take left. pass by retavadi, Gosasi, Pabal .. total 20 Km
• After coming out of Pabal take left turn.
• Go another 10 KM, you will see boards for Morachi Chincholi Village on the right.
• There are places to stay inside the village and also outside if you bypass the village.
• Continuing on this road for 20 km after passing Maltan, Takli Haji take a right. Small road sign direct you to “Nighoj Kund”
P.S.-This article belongs to Le Monde-A Poetic Travail. If you are viewing this on a website instead of your RSS feed reader, then that website is guilty of stealing my content. Kindly do me a favour. Please visit my site and help me taking action by letting me know against this theft. Thank you.
If you like this site, I suggest you to connect with me through Facebook fan page and Twitter.